Chick Sticks Girls Performance Surfboards

Chick Sticks Girls Performance Surfboards
Where Beauty meets Performance

Thursday, October 11, 2012

WSSM Magazine Meet the Designer LOLA BLAKE & CHICK STICKS


WSSM MEET THE DESIGNER ~ CHICK STICKS AND LOLA BLAKE

 

 

http://issuu.com/wssm/docs/wssm-smr-fll2012preview/3

 

 
 

==========================================================================

MEET THE (SURFBOARD) DESIGNER...
Lola Blake
Designer’s name:
Chick Sticks by Lola
WEBSITE:
www.chicksticksbylola.com

1. Tell us about yourself, and how you got started in the surf-- and now, surfboard design business? (Did someone help you, did you got to school for it, what were some hurdles you had to clear, etc.)

I eat, sleep and breathe my Chick Sticks and I Love every minute of it!! I went from Racing PWC on the National Circuit to learning how to Surf and was instantly hooked. Im pretty small so right away the bigger boards werent working for me so I learned on my Surf Instructors little 5.9 shortie! I was always the Kook with the Cool boards, painted, stickered, named, designs on the deck with neon wax, you name it. I wanted to make boards that were the shapes guys were riding designed for Girls. Ezera gave me my start in 2010. Dave's (Pearson) in Nicaragua now but we keep in touch and Luiz Massuzo shapes my boards now. I have a dedicated Factory that shapes my Chick Sticks. Definitely my biggest hurdle has been finances. To this day Ive never taken a loan out or charged a credit card for my business. Its been a challenge doing everything on my own but its all come together and I have Dealers now and Sales Reps and Chick Sticks is growing. Sometimes I have to pinch myself!



2. Your surfboards are no ordinary boards with a few token flowers sprinkled on them-- making them "girl friendly". Tell us what makes your boards especially unique?

My boards are all Performance shapes for sure. Five of my eight designs are 5 fin options. Every one has attention to the rocker, rails and each shape offers something unique and specific for each skill level. I wanted a full line up so I offer a Grom, Thruster, Fish, Egg, Fun Board, Mini Longboard and traditional 8.0 and 9.0 longboards. I didnt want to leave any girls out.




 

 


3. What do you consider the top 3 most important things to consider when designing your surfboards?

The most important thing has always been that my boards WORK. And Girl Friendly to me means, easier to paddle, narrower tails so easier to duck dive, softer noses so a little more forgiving and lastly that they are beautiful. I have 20 paint designs and more to come. I draw up my paint designs and take them to my painter, I try to offer Girly Girl and Tomboy designs and things no one else has ever done like Plaid.

 


4. What is your favorite design to date and why? (need high resolution photo of this one)

Definitely my Hoochie Mod. That design was a Custom 5 fin option mini egg that I had shaped for me as a personal board and it turned out to be such an Amazing board I added it to the line up at the last minute. It was a modified version of the Hoochie Mama, so I started calling it Hoochie Mod. That is really my flagship board now. It suits beginner to advanced, slop to heavy surf. If I had know it would be the Queen of the Quiver I would have given it a much better name!!



5. Future plans and goals?

I have 3 Chick Sticks Skateboards and I'd like to add a couple Hybrid Boards, something Fun and Easy for Girls to Ride. Im introducing Snow Boards this Fall. Im working with a Factory on my own designs for Board Shorts and down the road my To Do List includes adding SUP Board to my Brand. Growing my Surf School, wow, I have a big list. Most importantly I want to support other Girls in business and empower Women thru Surf, Skate and Healthy Lifestyle. I guess, that's pretty my motto.



6. Contact info for readers to buy your surfboards, follow you (twitter, FB?), etc?

My website is so fun please visit www.chicksticksbylola.com but I do need to stop adding products LOL My twitter is @chicksticksgirl and Chick Sticks FB page is http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ChickSticks








 

No comments:

Post a Comment